Wednesday, 19 August 2009

Time Well Spent in Dublin

I have just returned from Dublin, the Capital of the Republic of Ireland, where I learned much. The occasion was the annual Canadian Legal Conference organized by the Canadian Bar Association. Criticism has been raised in the media as to why the leading Canadian Lawyer organization would hold a costly overseas conference in this time of serious recession. The conference has been planned for over 4 years and to cancel it when the recession started in the fall of 2008 would have resulted in great financial losses from the commitments which had been made in various contracts. There continued to be a strong interest and excitement in the Dublin Conference and it made no to sense to do anything but proceed with it. Registrations were in fact higher than anyone expected and the conference is a definite success.
It was a great experience to take in Irish culture, to meet with Irish lawyers and Judges and to discuss current issues and trends in law in Canada, Europe and around the world. I return with a fresh new perspective on many aspects of legal practice and having made friends in Ireland. I am hoping my Irish friends will find it just as worthwhile to come to Canada for the next Canadian Legal Conference in August 2009 at Niagara Falls.
I learned a lot of history and about my wife's heritage. I learned that Ireland is a modern place where old prejudices have largely been put aside. I learned new legal skills I will apply and I learned that Guinness does taste best in Ireland.
I will certainly go back there some time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did any discussion take place on natural justice and Brehon Law and how to apply it in Canada and change the collective mindset of your peers to work towards these areas

Innocent till proven poor

Murray H. Miskin said...

Brehon law was mentioned in the one about the Irish legal system but not in detail. The focus was on the modern courts and how they work. There was considerable discussion as always with CBA about access to justice for the poor and the battle to extend the availability of legal aid in Canada.